Monday, March 25, 2013

Basmati Rice

Last month, my hubby invited his colleagues for potluck in my house. One of his colleague brought basmati rice. It is so aromatic and taste good. She told me how to cook the rice and I can't wait to try it. She told me a lot of herb names which I never hear before. I google online for the list of herbs needed to get it in grocery store. Here is the recipe I used:

Serving of 4

Ingredient:
1 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, thinly slice
1 carrot, diced it
1 cup of frozen green pea
2 glove of garlic
2 pods green cardomom
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
pint of ginger powder
1 3/4 cups water
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
2. heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cinnamon stick, cardomom pods, cloves and cumin seed. Cook and stir for about 1 minute, then add onion and garlic to the pot. Add carrot and green pea. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Drain the water from rice and stir into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes until lightly toasted.
4. Add salt and water, bring it to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for about 15 minutes or till all the water has been absorbed. Don't stir it or the rice will break.
5. Let stand for 5 minutes before serve.

You can add more chicken or others vegetable to the rice.

here is the photo:

The rice is fluffy and aromatic. My hubby loves it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment