Thursday, March 14, 2013

I love tempeh!

Many people doesn't know what tempeh is. Here is what i found in wikipedia:  a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty.

I never  know about this till i tasted it in my university in Kuantan. Makcik in cafe always have this dish during lunch time. It was cooked with anchovies, peanut and sambal. Tasted a bit spicy, salty and sweet. Me and my house mates especially Sing Yee love it some much. We used to buy a bag of it and ate it like snack instead of with rice.
After we left Kuantan campus, I tried to find this in Klang wet market and manage to find it. But that time I wasn't sure how to cook it. Even my mum didn't know about this food and hence didn't know what to expect. I just told her fried with sambal. But the taste appeared to be different from I remembered. i think we forgot to fried it before cooking it with sambal.

A few week ago, I was browsing through some blogs and found recipes for tempeh. The blogger said she bought tempeh in groceries stall in US. That weekend I managed to find tempeh in New Seasons. I was so excited!
Tthere were 2 pack inside and 1 used each of them to cook differently. one for satay tempeh and another one is sambal goreng tempeh.

here is the link to satay tempeh recipe: http://kuali.com/recipes/view.aspx?r=2815
it tasted exactly like satay but vegetarian satay. here are some pictures i took:

after baking in oven

The 2nd time, i cooked it with sambal and peanut. Me and hubby like 2nd one better. it tasted like the one that i had in Kuantan. I cut tempeh into small pieces and fried it till brown color. I fried some peanut too. Set them aside and prepare the sambal.. We can't get chili boh in US, so i made the sambal from scratch. I blended onion, shallot, 1 red bell pepper, red chili, dried chili and garlic. Then add sugar and salt. sauteed the ingredients till it become dry. add in the tempeh and peanut. 


I love tempeh! it is a good source of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment