Friday, January 25, 2013

Potty training experience

I had to admit potty training was a stressful one for me and also a memorable one especially when my son did his first potty, I can't describe how proud and happy we were. :)

Ever since my son was transferred to toddler room in October 2012, his teacher started showing him how to use potty, wipe, put back his pant and wash hand. He still wearing diaper at that time. In mid of December, his teacher told us that my son was ready for potty because he was interested in doing it and has been practicing for a while in school. She warned us that there will be some mess that we need to deal with before he able to do potty independently. She wanted us to start practice potty at home. We were asked to put underwear for my son and not trying to use pull-up diaper or those underwear that is water proof. We also asked to bring 5 set of clothes+socks and extra shoes to day care each day. We were so excited about this. this is going to be a new milestone for my son and we were thinking how hard could this possibly be. :)

So we got him 2 pack of underwear with cute cartoon (Thomas the train and Mickey Mouse). Each pack has 7 underwear. My son looked super cute in his little underwear running around house. But it was less than 10 minutes, we found that he wet his pant and our living room carpet. We started to get paranoid that we kept asking him if he needed to go potty and most of the time he said YES. But he didn't do it. He just wanted to play with toilet paper and flush. He continue to have wee wee and poo poo in his pant and only informed us after that.
Zai Zai in his underwear

After cleaning up his mess for 2 weeks, we almost gave up. This was harder than we thought. Imagined he used almost all his 14 underwear each day. We have to get him another pack of underwear so he has extra clothes to change in day care. We talked to her teacher, she advised us to be more patience. She told us that each child is different. Some takes days, some takes weeks and even months. We borrowed some potty training book from library and read it to my son everyday. Still, he was not doing his wee-wee and poo-poo in his potty.

On 3rd weeks of potty trainning, he started to tell us that he needed to go potty. He sat in his potty for a while, he said he was done but nothing came out.  But after 1-5 minutes, he will have his pant wet. He seemed to afraid of doing potty in toilet for some reasons.
mummy has to read to him to keep him sitting on his potty!


One day, he told me again that he needed to go potty. I have him climbed the small stool and sat on his potty. I removed the stool so he can't come down without my help. As usual he sat for a while and said he was done, but nothing came out. I insisted him to sit a little longer. He was so afraid and started screaming "is coming out, is coming out". Then we heard shishh sound. he made his FIRST potty. FINALLY! He looked at me and smiled. I awarded him with a chocolate to encourage him. Ever since then, he loved to do potty and every time he did it, he will tell me "Mummy, I want chocolate! I want a green one"!

On his 4th week, he didn't wet his pant at school. His teacher was so happy. Mummy and daddy were so proud.

WE DID IT...WE DID IT... (famous song from Dora the explorer after she completed a mission)!

No comments:

Post a Comment