Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wonderful twos

Since Loke turned two, he started to learn more vocabulary and started to communicate with us more in words.  He always surprise us with new words he learnt or new thing he did. I remembered a couple of them and wanted to list them here:


Moon or banana?
We always went for a walk during summer time in the evening after dinner. One day, I pointed to moon and asked my son, what is the that? He said: "Banana!". Both me and Chun can't stop laughing. I corrected him that it is moon. 

We have a few week of clear sky for winter last year and we can see moon so clearly at night. One night, I pointed to the full moon and asked my son again what is that. He said:"Is moon with lights on!". He thought that the moon was lit up just like the Christmas tree in our house. :)

Passing gas (放屁吧了):
I smelled something stink one day when i wanted to put my son to bed. So i asked him: "仔仔,你大便啊?(Did you poo)?". "没有, 放屁吧了!(No, I am just passing gas)!".

All Done
My son always use "all done" when he is done with his meals or he is done playing with something. One day before he went to sleep, Chun told him: "给爸爸抱抱 (Let daddy hug hug!)". Guess what my son replied: “No 抱抱, all done 抱抱 (No hug hug, all done hug hug)." (>_<)

Vegetable vs leaves?
Last year when fall came, Chun had to sweep the leaves that were dropping on our lawn every week. My son loved to help. So he learnt the new word: leaves. He kind of thinking that all leafy plants are leaves. So whenever we go for grocery, he will say: "去买叶子(Let's go buy leaves)". Whenever he saw us eating salad or leafy vegetable, he will say :"爸爸妈妈吃叶子!(Daddy and mummy eat leaves)!". It sounds like both of us are some kind of herbivore. 


Traffic light:
I taught him how to read traffic light. Red means no go, green means go. White with a people walking sign for pedestrian light means walk and red with a hand sign means no walk. So every time we stopped at the traffic light, I will ask my son can we go now? 

One day, on the way back home, Chun turned left when the traffic light for turning left goes GREEN while traffic light for those want to go straight remains RED. Then i heard my son shouted : "Daddy,  is red, no go!". (>_<) He was sitting at the back in his car seat and didn't notice that there is traffic light for turning left. So he don't understand why we took the turn. And he kept repeating the same sentence till we reached home. :)

In US, the traffic light is actually more than just green for go and red no go. we were allowed to do right turn even though the traffic light still red, we also can do a left turn as long as we yield for coming traffic and the traffic light will be blinking. My son got confused and we gave up trying to explain to him for all possible cases.

"Daddy drove fast fast"!
Chun made a turn without slowing down a little bit. My son felt that and he shouted from behind, "爸爸架快快!(Daddy drove FAST FAST)". 


People always mentioning a famous term "terrible two" which refer to a child development stage which occurs around the age of two in which toddlers often saying no and throwing temper tantrums. They wanted to make their choice independently and often disagree with what parents say. This was a little hard for us initially as we were not sure what Loke wants and i think he himself sometimes doesn't know what he wants too. But as we learnt to be patience with him, we actually enjoy this and instead of saying terrible two, I would say wonderful two.


My son's 2 years old birthday. I baked the cake for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment