Wednesday, May 1, 2013

65 degree Tang Zhong Bread

Even though I am working in technology company, I had to admit that I am very outdated with phone apps. I heard about WhatsApp app from my siblings and friends for a long time, but never use it before since I don't have an iphone or Android phone. I usually don't use laptop at night especially when my son is still awake. Hence I had been "disconnected" with my friends for a while. They usually dropped me a message in facebook but we can't do live chat like we used to be. My friends kept asking me if I have WhatsApp and we can message each other using that.

Last two months, I happened to know that there is a way of using WhatsApp for Ipad 2. I am so happy about that and started to surf online on step by step to download WhatsApp for my Ipad. Thanks for those who share the tips online, I managed to have this app installed. I am back "online" and continue to stay connected with my sibling and friends. 

We created two main chat groups: forever hot chick which consists of my middle school friends and forever hot mama for those friends that have upgraded to mummy. There is always a little delay in my response due to time zone difference. Is day time in Malaysia when I am at sleep via versus. People said three lady will create a pasar. Since we have ~12 people in the chat group, you can imagine how many pasar there. Sometimes I woke up in the morning and found that I have few hundreds of new messages. I have to scroll back to read the long message thread. :) We talked about a lot of things in the chat room including sharing of news happening among our friends, recipes, asking questions or opinions about something, politics talk etc. WhatsApp makes me feel that I am so closed to my friends and family even though physically we are thousand miles apart.

Yen Ping is one of my very closed buddy that used to sit besides me in classroom during F4 and F5. She is one of the friend that is very active in our chat room. Hence, she earned a new name: our mamapedia since she knows so many parenting tips, baking and cooking tips. She is also my personal search engine for recipes that she had tested and guarantee to work. All I have to do is tell her what I want to make and she will find the right recipes for me. Much efficient that Google search. :p 

I always wanted to make bread/bun that is soft, moist and will continue to stay soft for a few days. I had tried so many recipe online for soft bread but none of them satisfied me. They usually soft for 1-2 hours after bake and will get harden after that. I had to microwave it to make it soft again. But this made the bread dry. So I asked Yen Ping for help and she immediately shared two recipes that she tested before. Yen Ping's recipe uses a starter dough which is a dough that need to prepare up front by cooking the bread flour with some water/milk and add this starter dough when making the bread dough. This is the main difference in Yen Ping's recipe compare to online recipe I tried before and is called 65C tang zhong method.  I tried this 65C tang zhong method and it indeed produce a bread that is soft for 2-3 days. I am so happy and satisfied.

I started using the same dough recipe to do more different style of bread such as cinnamon bun, chocolate bun, wheat bun etc. My hubby started complaint that he is gaining weight as he can't resist the yummy bread and kept sneaking into kitchen to eat the bread after dinner. :) 

Here is the recipe I used:
Tang Zhong starter:
Ingredient:
50g bread flour
250ml water or milk

Method:
1. Mix flour and water/milk till it is smooth in a small saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat and stir with hand whisk. Keep stirring till you see streaks in the mixture for every stir you make. this will produce a 65C tang zhong.
3. Set aside to let it cool to room temperature before using it.

Bread dough:
200g white bread flour *
170g wheat bread flour *
30g gluten flour *
Tang Zhong starter 
160ml milk
1/4 tsp salt
50g sugar
2 tsp yeast
40g butter

* you can use 400g white bread flour if you don't want to use wheat flour.

Method:
1. Place all ingredients in bread machine or knead it if you don't use a bread machine.
2. After the dough proof, shape the dough in any shape you like. you can add filing like cinnamon or chocolate and shape them.
3. let it proof for another 20 minutes. 
4. Bake at 350F for about 25 mins.

After shaping it
Proof it before bake

More bread styles that I made:
Cinnamon pecan bun before bake

After bake

Chocolate swirl bun

No comments:

Post a Comment