Thursday, May 16, 2013

Steamed moist banana cake

We had been eating bread for breakfast for the past few weeks and I can see my son started to get bored. Although I was making different type pf bread such as cinnamon, chocolate swirl, whole wheat, ham and cheese, but they still bread. So I decided to do something different. I immediate thought of banana cake. I love the banana cake in Malaysia. The one that sells in a loaf and can easily get in any market. I especially like the cake texture which is fluffy and moist.

I had not bake banana cake for a while. The reason was I haven't find a recipe that produce a really moist cake. I tried using bake method to do this cake but the the cake always turn out to be dry. I was searching for banana cake recipe and happens to find that there is a steamed version of this cake. It is so simple and you can even do it without using mixer (I had a KitchenAids mixer but it is super heavy and I am lazy to bring it down from my kitchen cabinet to use it.). The cake is really moist and I think another important key is the banana need to be overripe so it will taste sweet and flagrant. 

The cake was ready by the time my son reached home. He insisted want to help mum to decorate the cake with his toy pick. By the time he was done playing with his toy pick and allowed me to cut it, I can see so many holes on the cake. (*_*) Anyway, both my hubby and son love it. They even had it as after dinner dessert!

Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
4 eggs
140g sugar
170g melted butter or oil or a mixture of these two (I used olive oil)
300g mashed overripe banana (about 3 bananas)
250 all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Method:
1. Mash bananas with a fork in a bowl and set aside. Sift the flour, baking power, baking soda and salt in  another bowl.
2. Use mixer or egg beater to beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow.
3. Add in melted butter/oil, mix well using spatula.
4. Add in mashed bananas.
5. Fold in sifted flour mixture. 
6. Prepare steamer in advance. Let the water boil before putting in the cake. I used a 8x8 square glass pan for the cake. Steam it at high heat for 45 to 50 minutes.
  
Steamed banana cake
My son was playing with his toy pick.
My son was decorating the cake with his toy pick. 
He showed me this and said :"Mummy, I made a train!". 

9 comments:

  1. I've tried this recipe,and it was perfect.my friends love them and ask me to make again.thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe. Simple enough. Love it!

      Delete
  3. The recipe was super easy to follow n cake turned out so fluffy. .my family loved it.thanx dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ta Daa~ I got mine yesterday! I found out your recipe is easier because i got most the ingredients!~ I always failed to bake or steam cakie.. I replace butter to extra virgin olive oil, brown sugar 90g, n more than 3 nos banana, i add a pinch of cinnamon spices,hehe~soft, fluffy, moist, ~NYUM thanks so much
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10577041_10203320027254325_5533025413315928292_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, I am so glad you like the recipe. Your cake looked very yummy, making me craving for this cake now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I found if use olive oil, smell n taste weird if people don't like olive oil , haha! will turn use butter next try

    ReplyDelete