Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Potato rice ball

We visited Hillsboro main library every weekend. The library has a kid section and it has a couple of wooden toys for toddler to learn about color, shapes and alphabet. My son loves that and this is the main reason he wants to go library every weekend. So usually after doing our grocery, we will stop by library. Daddy will accompany my son to play the toys while enjoying a cup of coffee with doughnut holes. I will go to world language section and started looking for recipe books. 

I recently borrowed a 15 minutes easy snack recipe book and one of the recipe which seemed easy enough is this potato rice ball.  This is a Japanese style snack. I myself never try a Japanese rice ball before, not really sure how it tastes. They always have rice ball in bento and shape it into cute cartoon features like bears, bird etc. I am not that artistic yet, so this recipe should be a good try for beginner like me. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of white rice
2 medium size potatoes
salt to taste
2 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoon corn flour

Methods:
1. Boil the potato and mash it. set aside.
2. Put the white rice into a plastic bag. Use hand to press the rice to break it till the rice becomes sticky.
3. Mix the rice with the mashed potato, salt and corn flour. 
4. Shape the mixture into a triangular or round shape. 
5. heat the frying pan with some sesame oil and pan fried the rice ball using low heat.
6. Wrap the rice ball with seaweed while it is still hot.


1 comment: